Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hotel Blog : The Langham Place, Hong Kong

I thought I'd write this before things drastically change. I don't think a lot has changed in the past couple of years, right?

I had the opportunity to stay at the Langham Place which is located next to a shopping mall in the district of Mongkok on the main island of Hong Kong a couple of years ago. Purported to be a 5 star hotel, it didn't disappoint.

Plus points:
I managed to find the time to take morning swims before breakfast, a different experience I would recommend everyone to try as the pool was a roof-top one and neighbouring office buildings which are higher than the 50 something floor are able to peer down at me swim. Luckily the buildings are not right next to each other, otherwise no one would get any work done! The pool itself is rectangle in shape, 2.5m deep on one side and what I liked about it was the richly coloured small mosaic with smatterings of gold specks.

The room itself is medium in size, I'm not sure which category we got but there is a big bathtub in the bathroom which has windows that open out to the bedroom and if you're adventurous enough, you could have a bath while looking out into the city lights! All modern ingenuity has been fitted in the room, flat screen telly, including a cordless phone which you can bring up to the Spa and pool area. I didn't have the time to figure out how to use the phone... it was too computerised even for me.

Location, location, location! The suburb of Mongkok is an excellent place to stay when you're a tourist. The hotel is located a couple of minutes walk away from the Mongkok subway station, a minute walk away from the Ladies Market, Sports and the Electronics streets, surrounded by little coffee shops serving all sorts of goodies, it's an eclectic mix of Hong Kong's culture.

Cons:
Only the price... it's not for all and sundry to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment