Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Of Durians and Mangosteens

I'm not sure if it's the rain or something else, but last night, while driving back along Napier Road towards Holland Village, we took a detour to finally patronise a makeshift Durian stall. Placed at the edge of a never full public car park (where you might find more lorries and private buses parking), this makeshift stall has been here for the longest time. It's at least as old as I've been living in this country, and I just celebrated my 11th year!

The dude who runs this stall opens whenever it's Durian season, which these days looks to be more than 4 times a year. He guarantees that the fruit is ripe and free of worms. If you do not want the hassle of opening the fruit yourself, the owner will open and pack them into takeaway boxes and if any of the fruit is unripe or spoilt, he'll replace them.

The stall is still in its original setting. Wooden planks make up some shelves to display the fruit, a motor generator rattles in the background for light, rattan baskets filled with discarded skin on the side and tables with stools for patrons who want to eat the fruit there and then. It's such a weird concept to have tables for instant Durian consumption.

When I was young, I grew up eating the D24 variety which is literally bitter-sweet and very creamy. These days, there are all sorts of Durian variety that I don't remember it all. I think the D series itself has grown to over 50 types. Anyways, this stall sells the garden variety, D24s and (Mau Sang Wong) Cat Mountain King which are the epitome of Durians. We bought 3 fruits, had them packed in takeaway boxes and a net of mangosteens. It's been a while since I last ate mangosteens without any yellow sac within the fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment