Monday, January 18, 2010

Ironing

They say that Iron is good for you. Yes, I totally agree with that, it's one of the vitamins found in food which we consume a little of everyday, but what they don't tell you is that Ironing is bad for you.

How on earth did people walk around in creaseless clothes during the olden days? Do we have pictures? Maybe the black and white photographs hides the creases well, among other things. But the world which we now live in is not black and white. We can't walk around in crumpled clothes. Actually, we can, but we will be frowned upon and that's not something you'd want.

So back to my question. How did people iron so well before the modern day iron was invented? Does the hot coal in a heavy metal carrier really work? There's weight, it presses the cloth flat, 'ironing' out the creases... The modern day irons are lightweight, especially the travel ones. Which would explain why you'd have to put some pressure into each swipe of the iron on your clothes thus causing you to work off your arm muscles. Shall I test out the theory and look for an antique iron? Would I have to start a fire in my house to warm up the coals to put into the iron... there's a thought.

Sometimes I chance upon a street vendor trying to sell unsuspecting housewives the complete ironing system. One that doesn't require a lot of energy from the person using it and voila, your clothes are pressed in a jiffy. The only thing is that you'd have to buy the iron plus the ironing table and it will set you back a couple of thousand dollars. Hmm... do I really care if the clothes that I wear are slightly creased? I mean, I could buy plenty of things with that couple of thousand dollars instead of an instrument, no a couple of instruments, which doesn't work well without the other, which I'll only use maybe once every couple of weeks, seeing that we have plenty of clothes, in general.

Oh, by the way, in case you haven't noticed, I don't like ironing. I wish the clothes which I take off the hangers after they dry from the machine wash would not require any ironing. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment