Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hotel Blog : The Fullerton Hotel, Singapore

I thought I'd start this as a filler on some days where I have nothing much to write about. It would also give me a reason to reminisce.

While flipping a free newspaper on Thursday, I chanced upon an advertisement for this place. At S$288 per night, I thought it was pretty good, considering it's purported to be a 5 star property.

The Fullerton Hotel belongs to a chain of it's own. It's not part of the Hilton chain or the Raffles chain, it's in a chain of its own. The reason I'm using 'chain' is because they'll have another hotel opened next month, The Fullerton Bay Hotel, located a stone's throw away. The building used to be the general post office of Singapore, being a heritage building, a lot of the interior was kept.

Anyways, small as the room was (on the upside the bathroom was larger than the bedroom!), we kind of got upgraded to a river view room and the service and food was impeccable. I ate too much and am currently suffering for it.

It all started with their buffet breakfast this morning. Decent selection of Japanese, local, Chinese and European. I had a little bit of everything except the Japanese and went back for seconds. Probably not a good idea, but at the cost of S$45 per person for breakfast, mentally you'd want to eat more. Their nasi lemak was yummy, sambal was not extremely spicy by my standards, fresh roasted peanuts and crispy fried anchovies. Their duck congee was also pretty yummy with sesame oil, broiled peanuts, fried shallots and pork floss.

After being absolute gluttons (the hubs went back for 4ths and 5ths!) the hubs and I waddled and burped our way towards Boat Quay and got onto the river cruise, something that we've never done as residents of Singapore. The weather was perfect, not muggy or too sunny, and the boat ride took us around the Boat and Clarke Quay area. There was nothing else for us to do after the half hour cruise as we've pretty much done that area of Singapore, so we headed back for a nana nap. Probably not a great idea as I don't think it allowed the food to digest much. Lunch was a simple fare of grilled cod and some mushroom risotto.

Within the S$288, breakfast for two was included, a dining credit of S$88 was included, late check-out, complimentary parking and a half hour river cruise. After calculating everything, the room rate ended up being S$9. That's for a 5 star hotel. I hope they throw in more of these deals *grin* I'd definitely go back.

The Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment