Saturday, September 25, 2010

Glasses vs Contacts

I come from a family of shortsightedness. My parents and both my brothers sport glasses. So I've been known as 'four eyes' since I was ten, which was a long, long time ago.

I can still remember my first pair of glasses; they were plastic, red on the top half, clear on the bottom and it covered half my face. As I got older, the glasses got trendier (read metal frames) but they still covered half my face until I got to Uni. My current pair is by far the lightest, smallest, nearly frameless (yeah, the lens is being held together by the bridge and the sticks which go behind the ear.

When I was preparing for my wedding, I was advised that glasses don't do well in wedding photos. So after much cajoling I tried on contacts. I don't even remember the last time I didn't have to push my glasses up my nose! Not to mention the weirdest feeling, poking your eye when all it wants to do is close at the impending entry of a foreign object and taking it out was another adventure! After much practice for the next 2 months, I didn't have to spend a half hour in front of the mirror trying to put them on... just 20 minutes. As the years go by, the optometrist tells me that I have slight astigmatism in my eyes. I can't believe the contact lenses people haven't come up with daily moist contacts with astig.

These days, I only wear them once in a blue moon, I still love my glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment