Friday, November 19, 2010

Paris is...

... HUGE!

This shouldn't shock me anymore as it's not the first time I've been to this city, but I think with all the walking that I've done over the past couple of weeks, my legs are starting to feel the strain. But then again, maybe the city is really, really HUGE!

Here is the Notre Dame with a dismal sky. It was threatening rain the whole day, but stayed cloudy, which is a good thing, walking around in the slush of autumn is no fun. I think I was planning a rather near impossible route from the Notre Dame to the Lourve to the Arc! Not actually entering the places, it should take you half a day to walk the entire length, keeping in mind that the sun sets at 5 in the evening at the moment and I have to take a half hour train back to the airport hotel.

My walk started at 3 in the afternoon and there was a super long queue of people wanting to climb the Notre Dame's tower, so I didn't do that (although it would be such a waste to not do it when you have the time. Maybe I'll need to spend a couple of weeks in Paris!) I went into the cathedral instead and I have to admit, it's HUMONGOUS! Plus I haven't been to the ones in Rome, so it was almost a culture shock. It didn't help that there were thousands of people within the cathedral!

Front facade

Inside the Cathedral

I think they purposely dim the lights within the cathedral. As with all cathedrals, tripods are not allowed, flash photography is not going to help you in places this big so you'll just have to be extremely steady with your camera and pretend that you're the tripod. Not an easy feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment